Sunday, September 13, 2009

Grenade launchers, machine guns, and back pain Sept. 3

So those back problems I mentioned in my last letter (or was that over the phone?) have gotten worse so I went to sick call. Now on profile for 3 days with a tube of icy-hot and some ibuprofen, have to go back in if I don't get better. Missing the ruck march tomorrow which sucks, but even wearing full battle rattle strains my back, let alone a ruck. Wickman and Schumacker are gonna see if they can help, both have chiropractor experience. Wickman actually just realigned my spine to help my posture.

These past two days have been spent at the range and we have had to clean the bay during personal time, so I just now got to write. Yesterday (Wednesday) we had AT4s and 203 shooting, I missed AT4 since I was in sick call, but I got to fire the 203 grenade launcher. Everyone got 17 TPT rounds which contained orange powder. The launcher is extremely easy to operate and fire. After everyone shot, one person from each platoon got to fire an actual HE round, which make a very large bang. Someone actually hit an unexploded ME round with a TPT round downrange, making it go off. Was awesome.

Today (Thursday) we fired the M249 SAW and M240B. Was a very long day but those weapons are a blast to fire. The SAW actually fires faster than the 240, but the 240 fires a much larger round. Didn't do too well with the 240 since it was positioned awkwardly and I couldn't get a good sight picture, but i tore it up with the SAW, hitting the 150 m targets with ease. Franks went down today with a fever, and Hall went down the other day, we're dropping left and right. Powell is back though which is good news.

Tex got fired from PG today, Nunez is our new PG. Gotta sleep now, write more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment