Friday, September 4, 2009

.50 Cal, MK 19 and IEDs Sept. 1

Haven't had much time to write these last few days, been busy. We hit the range yesterday (Monday) for the first time, and started off with a literal bang.

Had classes on loading, unloading and correcting malfunctions on both weapons, then moved to the firing line. MK 19 was first for our group, each person got to fire 3 fire round bursts of TTP rounds (Target and Training practice) which are basically flash bangs.

After an extremely hasty MRE lunch, we moved to .50 cal. Since I was near the back of the line and they had ammo to burn, I got to fire off half a box. It was definitely one of the coolest things I've done.

Later that day, after .50 cal, Beheyt had to be MEDECAC'd since he had a 103.6 core temp due to being sick. Since I'm his Battle Buddy I went to the hospital with him. We got some absolutely amazing chow for free in the cafeteria, waited for about 5 hours. Beheyt was diagnosed with Bronchitis and got medicine from the pharmacy and finally we got picked up by battalion and taken back.

We've started running a lot more, and I can feel it in my knees. Hell, today was upper body and we ran a mile on the track before the end of PT.

Got some classes on Unexploded Ordinance (UXO), IEDs and Claymores today. Learned some really interesting stuff about explosives. For example, one type of IED, the CFB, has a projectile that travels at 1.5 miles per second. Yes, that is miles. It can also penetrate 12 inches of steal at 100m.

All I have time to write now, time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment